Lost my gnome menu captions!

John Thompson John.Thompson@attglobal.net
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 07:48:38 -0600 (CST)

This is more a gnome question than a gnucash question, but since gnucash
is my primary gnome app (I don't use the gnome desktop) and my question in
the newsgroups has generated a deafening silence I thought I might ask
here as well.

I recently recovered from an abortive glibc update attempt (2.1=>2.2) and
have reverted to using v2.1 again.  Prior to this I had gnucash
(compiled from source) running nicely with glibc2.1 but since recovering
from the ill-fated update I no longer have menu caption text in gnucash or
other gnome apps.  Ie, the main menu options "File..." "Edit..." "Help..."
etc. no longer display and toolbar items only display an icon but no text.
The toolbar icons still function but there are no captions to indicate
what they do.  The main menu items (File, Edit, Help, etc.) are completely
missing.

Running gnucash for an xterm displays the following errors (trimmed for
brevity):

[john@starfleet john]$ gnucash

GnomeUI-WARNING **: gnome_app_insert_menus_custom: couldn't find insertion
point for menus!

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-app-helper.c: line 640
(install_menuitem_hint_to
_appbar): assertion `uiinfo->widget != NULL' failed.

GnomeUI-WARNING **: gnome_app_insert_menus_custom: couldn't find insertion
point for menus!

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-app-helper.c: line 640
(install_menuitem_hint_to
_appbar): assertion `uiinfo->widget != NULL' failed.

GnomeUI-WARNING **: gnome_app_insert_menus_custom: couldn't find insertion
point for menus!

	[clip...]

This looked to me like the linked libraries gnucash uses were changed, so
I recompiled and reinstalled gnome-libs-1.2.13-8 and gnome-core-1.2.4-16
but nothing has changed.  I then recompiled and reinstalled gnucash with a
similar lack of success.

Clearly, I am still missing something important but I don't know what it
is.  Any help appreciated.

--

-John (John.Thompson@attglobal.net)