Mutual Fund Price to $0.000001

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
02 Sep 2001 14:16:48 -0700

--=-v7TMpeq2OVEHBGV1HCZA

On Sun, 2001-09-02 at 06:44, Randall Hopper wrote:
> Robert A. Uhl:
>  |On Sat, Sep 01, 2001 at 07:50:47PM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |>      I have a 401K with mutual funds share prices kept to $0.000001. =
 How
>  |> can I get the Mutual Fund Account Transaction window to keep the extr=
a 3
>  |> digits?  Or is it possible?
>  |Tools:Commodity Editor
>  |Select the commodity you use to track your mutual fund.  Click on
>  |edit.  Enter 100000000 in the fraction traded bit.  That should do it,
>  |I believe.
>=20
> Ok, did that.  Though I used 1000000 (for 6 decimal digits).
>=20
> Dave Peticolas:
>  |You will also need to change the 'scu' field in the account
>  |to 100000000. Currently, the only way to do that is to edit
>  |the xml file directly, but it's easy to do.
>=20
> Didn't know that was XML -- cool.  Well, there seems to be some sort of b=
ug
> at work here because it didn't work.  As a follow-up test, I did this: in
> that gnc:account, I just changed:
>=20
>   <act:currency-scu>1000000</act:currency-scu>
>   <act:security-scu>10000</act:security-scu>
>=20
> invoked gnucash, re-keyed the 6-digit Unit Price, saved it, and then foun=
> that the gnucash.dat file contained:

>   <act:currency-scu>100</act:currency-scu>
>   <act:security-scu>1000000</act:security-scu>

Ah, ok, that is a bug. The above is actually I meant in
the first place.

Anyway, what that actually does is allow you to track share
values (not prices) to six decimal places, which isn't exactly
what you wanted. I answered your first question too quickly, so
let me start over.

The scu fields in the account determine the precision of the shares
and values stored in the account. Prices are stored separately and
there is currently no way to change their precision.

You can change the security scu & commodity fraction back if you
don't need to track them to that precision.

dave

--=-v7TMpeq2OVEHBGV1HCZA

--=-v7TMpeq2OVEHBGV1HCZA--