All my accounts are gone!

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
03 Sep 2001 11:49:19 -0500

On Mon, 2001-09-03 at 11:31, David Miller wrote:
> Actually, it is a binary file... first created using Gnucash 1.34 (or
> maybe v1.4), and then I kept on using it with 1.60 and then 1.61. "File"
> command, grep, and emacs all agree as to the binary status.

That's not possible AFAIK.  Gnucash 1.6.x doesn't even have the code to
write binary files any more.  The file you are looking at must be the
1.4.x version.  When you run gnucash-1.6.x on a binary file it converts
it to the XML format.

> Is the most recent .XAC file a complete backup of all my accounts at the
> time of the backup?  I think so, but I haven't made sure yet.

Yep.

> Is the most recent .LOG file a list of the changes I applied to the most
> recent .XAC file?  If it is, is there a way to apply the LOG file to the
> XAC file, like a patch process?

There was for 1.4.x, but I'm not sure of the status with 1.6.x.

b.g.