GTT: Announce & Question

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Wed, 05 Sep 2001 10:45:11 -0400

In a message dated: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:18:45 CDT
Linas Vepstas said:

>double-choco-latte requires an admin to install & configure apache,
>install and configure php, set up security, set up accounts, etc.
>which is a challenge for a non-programmer, and impossible for a
>non-'power-user'.

Why is it that all these great and wonderful database-backed php
applications exist, but also require you to create accounts for users
in them instead of using an already existing authentication scheme
like the local /etc/passwd file, NIS, LDAP, etc. ?

Like I, as a sysadmin, want more places I need to add/delete accounts
from.  I just don't get it.

Sorry, just ranting here :)

--

Seeya,