Mutual Fund Transfers

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
05 Sep 2001 13:11:59 -0700

--=-RUhUX1ZNSiQBKFgVTTlg

On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 06:31, Steven Watt wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> My problem likely has more to do with my limited knowledge of accounting =
than with GnuCash, but I would appreciate it if someone could give me some =
guidance.
>=20
> I am having trouble making transfers from mutual fund accounts. Whether I=
 transfer to a bank account or another mutual fund account, Gnucash tranfer=
s the number of units/shares and not their values. Thus, if I tranfer 20 un=
its of fund A to fund B, it shows up as 20 units in fund B as well, even th=
ough the values of the two funds are different (and different values are en=
tered in the Price Editor). And if I tranfer 20 units from fund A to a bank=
 account, it shows up as $20.

When you are doing transfers involving stock/mutual fund accounts,
it's best to use the stock account register, not the transfer dialog
or the bank account register. In the stock account register you can
adjust the shares and the value.

dave

--=-RUhUX1ZNSiQBKFgVTTlg

--=-RUhUX1ZNSiQBKFgVTTlg--