GNUCash is making up prices

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:40:17 -0500

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 08:08:42AM -0600, ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca was heard to remark:
> I decide to buy shares
> such that I am working with fractional numbers of shares where
> the fractional part is a ratio of primes (ignore the integer
> part).  So, one time I buy X + 1/2 shares, another time I buy
> Y + 5/7 shares, another time I buy Z + 13/41 shares, and so

I am not sure that I beleive that there is any brokerage in the
world that accepts orders of fractional shares with prime
denominators (other than 2, 3 and 5).

Doesn't matter anyway, as gnucash *does* handle all amounts
as fractions anyway, so that you can exactly represent, in gnucash,
13/41, without any rounding errors.

> and what they keep track of, that has a value much less than
> 1 cent.

Yet we are quibbling about prices whose net effect on the value is less
than one cent?  Clearly, there's a quibble; the question is 'where',
and 'what to do about it'.

--linas