Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Derek Martin ddm@pizzashack.org
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:41:31 -0400

On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 06:06:37AM -0400, Jim Biddle wrote:
> I have gnumeric v0.67 and it appears to work, but it is not compatable with
> staroffice or excel and I haven't created any spread sheets with it.

Well, from the Gnumeric homepage:

  "Gnumeric is intended to be a drop in replacement for commercial
  spreadsheets.  We are not attempting to clone existing applications.
  However, we offer a customizable feel that attempts to minimize the
  costs of transition. Gnumeric will import your existing Excel,
  1-2-3, Applix, Sylk, XBase and Oleo files."

So I'm not sure why you say it's incompatible...  But thanks for your
report, nonetheless.  One other question: was your existing install of
Ximian the first time you've installed Ximian, or did you upgrade from
a previous version (and I'm most particularly interested if it was
Helix Code)?

> I don't have Quake III arena.  At least I don't think I do.  One weakness
> for me with linux is that I am not sure what I have and even when I install
> something I have trouble finding it.

Well, if you didn't BUY Q3A, you don't have it installed; it's
commercial software.

Derek Martin          |   Unix/Linux geek
ddm@pizzashack.org    |   GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu