Will GnuCash ever work for me?

Derek Neighbors derek@gnue.org
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 11:06:04 -0500 (CDT)

Linas,

> Gnucash's biggest 'mistake' was failing to synchronize to the gnome 1.4
> release.  This lead in part to the nasty library dependencies.  The
> difficulty of a gnucash 'do-it-yourself' install high-lights the kind
> of value-add that precompiled distros, whether ximian, redhat or debian,
> bring to the consumer.

I think you summed this up nicely.  I know for GNUe and recent dependency
issues, we have contacted the distros (redhat, debian, etc) and asked what
version of X will be in your next release.  Then we are coding our
dependencies to that.  We of course dont have the install base that
GNUCash does so we have it easy this go around, but I think you bring up a
good point here and that is 'being in sync' with the major distributions
at the 'right time'.

Derek