session logs [was: XML size (was: no subject) ]

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
04 Apr 2002 10:42:21 -0500

Paul Lussier <plussier@mindspring.com> writes:

> I don't think you need to be able to tie it a specific set of entries
> or anything.  I mostly use the comment feature of RCS to state what I
> did this session and remind me what I might need to do next time
> along.  Since RCS also ties a date to each session, It's also easy
> for me to check the last time I actually did anything within gnucash.

Question:  Doesn't "ls -l" give you this information, too?  It will
tell you the last time you wrote the file.

> What could be done though, getting back the 'session log' idea is
> just provide a widget which allowed entering free form text.  That
> entry would get date/time stamped.  It could just be another table
> within the database.  Additionally, when someone went to import/export
> ascii text, the widget could pop up requesting a comment.
> (of course, auto-pop-up widgets should be user configurable so they
> can be set to never, ever appear again should the user hate this idea :)

Yea, as I was reading your message I came up with the same approach: a
table of text and dates so you could leave yourself log messages.  Sort
of like a ChangeLog :)