session logs [was: XML size (was: no subject) ]

Paul Lussier plussier@mindspring.com
Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:03:14 -0500

In a message dated: 04 Apr 2002 10:42:21 EST
Derek Atkins said:

>Paul Lussier <plussier@mindspring.com> writes:
>
>> I don't think you need to be able to tie it a specific set of entries
>> or anything.  I mostly use the comment feature of RCS to state what I
>> did this session and remind me what I might need to do next time
>> along.  Since RCS also ties a date to each session, It's also easy
>> for me to check the last time I actually did anything within gnucash.
>
>Question:  Doesn't "ls -l" give you this information, too?  It will
>tell you the last time you wrote the file.

Most of the time, yes.  However, occasionally I'll fire up GnuCash to
look at something, and hit save instead of close, or accidently
change one cell, but then correct it, resulting in getting asked if I
want to save, which I invariably seem to say yes too :)  This,
understandably results in a changed mod time, despite the fact that
I didn't really do anything.

But not a big deal.

>Yea, as I was reading your message I came up with the same approach: a
>table of text and dates so you could leave yourself log messages.  Sort
>of like a ChangeLog :)

That's exactly what I was thinking of.  I was actually going to
propose an interface to that, but then thought everyone would think
that a bad idea in light of moving to a DB backend.  If you've got
the DB, why not use it?  Though, if it *were* an interface to
CHANGELOG, I could look at from my terminal window over a slow
dial-up link without any problem ;)
--

Seeya,
Paul