Options when adding a new transaction

Neil Jerram neil@ossau.uklinux.net
06 Apr 2002 15:57:08 +0100

[sorry if you see this more than once.  it keeps being bounced, and,
afaict, hasn't yet made it either to Chase or to the list]

    Chase> I recently updated from a very very old version to the current stable
    Chase> version (1.6.6?) Whenever I add a transaction, a window pops up asking
    Chase> if i want to balance the transaction manually, let gnucash do it
    Chase> automatically, or let gnu cash add a split, and then it creates an
    Chase> imbalance account. I do not want it to ask me this. I dont even use
    Chase> gnucash for balacning my register, i just use it to keep track of what I
    Chase> have spent so i dont overdraw my checking account. How can I turn this
    Chase> off, so I can just enter a transaction, press enter, and enter another
    Chase> one.

1. Create one new, top-level Expense account, whose name preferably
   begins with a letter that none of your other accounts begin with.

2. When entering a transaction, tab to the Transfer field and type the
   first letter of the Expense account.  GnuCash should autocomplete
   the rest of the name, so you won't have to type anything else.
   Then continue tabbing to the amount fields and type in the amount
   as usual.

This method will allow you to create new transactions without GnuCash
complaining.

To fix up old transactions, use the Check and Repair tool, and then
just rename the imbalance account to something like `Old Expenses'.

        Neil