Options when adding a new transaction

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:56:33 -0800 (PST)

On 5 Apr 2002, Chase Peeler wrote:

> I recently updated from a very very old version to the current stable
> version (1.6.6?) Whenever I add a transaction, a window pops up asking
> if i want to balance the transaction manually, let gnucash do it
> automatically, or let gnu cash add a split, and then it creates an
> imbalance account. I do not want it to ask me this. I dont even use
> gnucash for balacning my register, i just use it to keep track of what I
> have spent so i dont overdraw my checking account. How can I turn this
> off, so I can just enter a transaction, press enter, and enter another
> one.

This is a feature of Gnucash. When you enter a transaction you have to
assign it to two accounts. Say for eg I went to buy some groceries at the
store. As Gnucash does double entry I need to fully express where the
money is coming from and going to. I would open my checking account and
make an entry there for the amount and then enter in the same line to
transfer the money to my groceries account. This satisfies the double
entry bookkeeping method (and you wont keep getting prompted to balance
the transaction then).

Chris