barchart -vs- split transaction

Bob thoth@purplefrog.com
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 02:53:43 -0400

I am NOT on this list.  CC me if you need me to read it.

I have discovered an oddity in the gnucash that ships with RedHat 7.2:
Gnucash 6.2.1

If I look at my expense accounts pie chart, Rent is #2.

If I look at my Expense Over Time bar chart (set for monthly) it lists
7 categories:

Auto
Bank Service Charge
BellSouth
Cash in Wallet (I categorize this as an expense since I use cash for a lot of stuff and don't want to track it).
Clothes
Computer
Computer (games)
Other

  It looks like it's alphabetizing them instead of picking the biggest
categories.  I'm betting you already know this and have fixed it in a
later revision.

  However, the BIGGEST oddity is that the Other bar goes negative in
January.  It turns out there were a number of orphaned rows in the
Ex:Rent account.  They were from a Checking account where I'd tried to
split a transaction (late rent, late fee, cashier's check fee), but I
was unfamiliar with the software and certainly clicked things the wrong
way, but I couldn't tell you exactly how I mis-entered the data.

  The end result were a couple of Rebate rows in the Rent account with
no matching target account.  I have since deleted them and the bar chart
looks believable now. However, I'm not sure what sequence of commands I
gave to drive it insane like that.

  Anyway, I'm SERIOUSLY impressed with GNUcash.  I've only done my
checking and credit cards so far.  I haven't delved into the stock
stuff much, but if I can somehow get AmEx to send me files I can
import into GNUcash, I'll be walking around with a stupid grin on my
face for a WEEK.

  If only I could figure out how to make a report that shows my
expenses, and counts my transfers to investments as expenses.

  I'll leave you with one final puzzle.  I'm trying to get some of my
investments to make sense (I didn't give the cash management account
shares a $1 price until just now) and I managed to trigger this from
the assets/time barchart:

11* [#<procedure ()>]
12* [lazy-catch #t #<procedure ()> #<procedure dumper (key . args)>]
13* [#<procedure ()>]
14* [apply #<procedure ()> ()]
15  [#<procedure ()>]
16  (begin (set! html (gnc:report-render-html report #t)) html)
17* (set! html (gnc:report-render-html report #t))
18* [gnc:report-render-html # #t]
19  (if (and # #) (begin #) (let # #))
20  (let* (# # # ...) (gnc:html-document-set-style-sheet! doc stylesheet) ...)
21* [#<procedure #> #]
22  [category-barchart-renderer # Assets Over Time # ...]
23  (letrec ((show-acct? (lambda # #))) (gnc:debug accounts) ...)
24* (if (not (null? accounts)) (let* (# # # ...) (letrec # # ...)) ...)
25  (let* (# # # # ...) (letrec # # #))
26* [gnc:accounts-get-commodities # #]
27  [delete #<gw:wcp <gnc:commodity*> 0x81a9a20> ...
28* [delete-duplicates ...
29* [sort (# # # # ...) #<procedure (a b)>]
30* [string<? IDSXX #f]
/usr/share/gnucash/scm/report-utilities.scm:124:20: In procedure string<? in expression (string<? (gnc:commodity-get-mnemonic a) (gnc:commodity-get-mnemonic b)):
/usr/share/gnucash/scm/report-utilities.scm:124:20: Wrong type argument in position 2: #f