recovery after crash (more details)

Jeff Abrahamson jeff@purple.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 15:52:56 +0200

I have a few more details on crash recovery. Maybe this will trigger
an idea from someone. I now know the data almost certainly exists, but
I would still have to re-enter it by hand.

The first time I tried to re-launch gnucash after crashing, I was told
a lock file still existed. I deleted the lock file, then allowed it to
open anyway. But it never looked again, so it didn't create a new
lock. I quit gnucash.

I launched again. This time all was fine, but still no recovery of the
missing transactions.

I poked around in the recent log files, and found that the log files
do, indeed, seem to encode the missing transactions. But I can't
figure out how to get the log file to be read. Indeed, I would think
it would be automatic on startup.

I tried removing the most recent log files (from my open and close
attempts, above) so that the only files newer than the last saved
gnucash data file was the log file with the missing transactions.
Gnucash opened my accounts, but I got an error that "the document
contained no data." I'm guessing that the same pref file that tells
gnucash what file to open if I don't specify one on the command line
also tells it what log file to read.

So now I'm a bit stymied. It seems to look for those log files, but
it's not replaying them. Any suggestions?

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>