Newbie Currency Questions

Shayne Lennox xonnels@netspace.net.au
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:39:34 +1000

Hi,

I'm a new Linux user who is in the process of switching from Quicken 2002
to GnuCash (1.6.5 which came with Mandrake 8.2). I have a few questions:

1) I am in Australia and my main currency is, of course, AUD. I also have a
PayPal account which is in USD, and I'm confused about how withdrawals from
my PayPal account to my AUD bank account will work. In Quicken, it simply
involved a direct transfer from one account to the other, entering an
exchange rate when prompted. In GnuCash, it seems I need at least one
"intermediate" account. Unfortunately, the example in the manual (involving
Francs) wasn't much help to me. Could someone explain to me what
intermediate account(s) need to be created and what transactions I need to
enter in order to move money from my PayPal account to my bank account?

2) Every so often, I receive cheques in US dollars, which I deposit into my
AUD bank account. Since Quicken didn't care where the cheques came from,
I'd simply enter the converted AUD amount when I deposited the cheque. In
GnuCash, is it necessary (or beneficial) to specify the Income accounts for
these in USD, or can I simply use my AUD Income accounts?

3) Finally, a display issue. In my accounts list, the balance for all my
accounts is preceded by an "AUD", except my USD PayPal account which just
has a dollar sign. The program seems to think I'm working in USD by
default, even though I have the Default Currency set to AUD in the
settings. Anyone know how I might fix this?

Thanks,

Shayne Lennox
xonnels@netspace.net.au

PGP/GPG Key: http://www.netspace.net.au/~xonnels/pgp.html