The Real Story on Red Hat 8

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:07:57 -0700 (MST)

	Getting the Gnucash shipped with Red Hat 8 running was a fight. It's
version 1.6.6 and the rpm package loads fine. But my guess is that no-one
tried to use it at Red Hat.

	There is a serious problem with this version on Red Hat 8. If you
load the software from the rpm package and click on the gnucash emblem it
comes up with several help screens and you can set up a new system before
you ever get to the software. It does a fine job of setting up everything.

	When you try to save the data it goes bonkers. I have had a
directory /home/karl/cash and not and made a cash directory with gnucash.
But when you say OK it comes up with a panel that first says
"/home/karl/cash exists. Can I use it?" Click OK and a new panel comes up
that says "Failure loading /home/karl/cash". There is NO WAY to save what
you set up.

	I wrote a bash file to erase all the new gnucash data files and it
looks like this:

rm -r .gnucash
rm .gnome/Gnucash

	When I use fix Gnucash comes up as if it's the first time it has
been run. I needed this to load Gnucash as I just did.

	I have a running Gnucash version 1.4 on Red Hat 7.2 so I booted that
partition to this one and copied all the data from the old version to
/home/karl/cash/ on the new Red Hat 8. Then I brought up Gnucash for the
"first time" and let it come up with no accounts. Then I clicked on File and
then Open and when the panel came up I told it to open the latest file in
the cash directory. It DID THAT! I had to tell it what kind of data was on
the old 1.4 data and it loaded the two old accounts complete with accurate
data.

	Next I added a liability and asset accounts called Allowance and
Expense. It saved all this fine. I processed 2 checks I wrote and used
transfer to send them to Expense, the liability account. When I write myself
another monthly allowance check I will put the value in the asset account
and then Transfer it to the bank.

	Much more on setting up a super simple Gnucash as I learn how it
works. For sure some hard work that I have no way of doing needs to be done
to the rpm on the Red Hat Installation cd-rom. I will send it in as a bug
via the Red Hat Bugzilla.