Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:38:03 -0600

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 10:05:00PM +0100, vitaliy rybalka was heard to remark:
> People, let's donate money and/or implement, it is the Right Thing (c)!
> I'm not sure if there's a PayPal account for GnuCash, but why not?!

There is no gnucash 'tip-jar', and there is no particular reason
why there isn't one.  Maybe its time one was set up.

Since this involves 'real money', a bit of discussion and rules &
regs are called for.  So:

0) Is there general agreement that this is a good idea?  Or is this
   a bad idea?

1)  What should we call this thing? A 'tip jar'? a 'donation
    account'?  A gratuity fund?  What kind of name would be
    'obvious' to europeans as well as americans?

2) I propose calling the entity that receives the funds 'The GnuCash
   Foundation'.  If more than $300 or $500 accumulates (which I
   rather doubt at the moment), I'll incorporate it as a
   non-for-profit, and do the other footwork to make it a non-taxable
   legal entity.  Any alternate suggestions?

3) Where should the money be collected?  Paypal seems obvious and
   popular. But I've also heard horror stories ...

4) When and how should money be disbursed?  I propose that one or
   more 'Most Valuable Contributor' be picked every so often, and
   given a reward out of the accumulated funds.  How should the
   recipient be picked? After a series of private discussions
   between trusted developers (e.g. those having CVS access?)
   (Realizing, of course, that the most likely recipient(s) will
   be one of those with CVS access?) After open discussions on
   the mailing lists? After a nomination and popular vote on
   the mailing list?

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>