Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Ray Abbitt rabbitt@abbitt.org
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 19:04:55 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Linas Vepstas wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 10:05:00PM +0100, vitaliy rybalka was heard to remark:
> > People, let's donate money and/or implement, it is the Right Thing (c)!
> > I'm not sure if there's a PayPal account for GnuCash, but why not?!
>
> There is no gnucash 'tip-jar', and there is no particular reason
> why there isn't one.  Maybe its time one was set up.
>
> 0) Is there general agreement that this is a good idea?  Or is this
>    a bad idea?

I think its a great idea. The money should go to support the
development. (And if you want to do gnutax at the same time I support
that.)

> 1)  What should we call this thing? A 'tip jar'? a 'donation
>     account'?  A gratuity fund?  What kind of name would be
>     'obvious' to europeans as well as americans?

Who really cares what it is called as long as it supports further
development.

> 2) I propose calling the entity that receives the funds 'The GnuCash
>    Foundation'.  If more than $300 or $500 accumulates (which I
>    rather doubt at the moment), I'll incorporate it as a
>    non-for-profit, and do the other footwork to make it a non-taxable
>    legal entity.  Any alternate suggestions?

> 3) Where should the money be collected?  Paypal seems obvious and
>    popular. But I've also heard horror stories ...

As long as I have a receipt that I can send to Intuit, I don't care
how you collect it.

> 4) When and how should money be disbursed?  I propose that one or
>    more 'Most Valuable Contributor' be picked every so often, and
>    given a reward out of the accumulated funds.  How should the
>    recipient be picked? After a series of private discussions
>    between trusted developers (e.g. those having CVS access?)
>    (Realizing, of course, that the most likely recipient(s) will
>    be one of those with CVS access?) After open discussions on
>    the mailing lists? After a nomination and popular vote on
>    the mailing list?

My thought is that the developers know best. Would some new
hardware help the development? Not a 'Most Valuable Contributor', but
who could do more if funds were available. Some of us are not at all
capable of development at this level. How can we help? (And it seems
like one way would be financially.) Intuit spammed me. I will never
give them another cent of my money and I will gladly support any good
alternative to their products. (No, I won't send enough money to make
any or all of you rich, but I will send as much as I would otherwise
have spent for Quicken and TurboTax)

-ray