Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Reinke Bonte reinke.bonte@web.de
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:04:07 +0900

Sending a christmas card sound like the most feasible short term
solution. However, there are many people like me who have problems to
manage sending christmas cards in time for the family alone.

I think something similar to the "Free Software Bazaar" would be the
best solution to this tip-jar issue in the long run. I'm not sure if it
is such a bureaucratic overkill.

What would be needed in my opinion is the following:

- The creation of a non-for-profit legal entity for gnucash.
- This legal entity should have a bank account.
- A web page which shows these bank account details and a number of
features for which people can contribute money.
- Each feature would have a unique code, which the contributor would
need to state when he remits money to the gnucash bank account.
- There should be a batch job or whatever which would read an ofx file
(or whatever) from the bank and update the web page to show how much
money is contributed for what feature.
- The person who implents the feature would get the money, and the
feature is deleted from the web page. This step would be done manually
by a responsible person.
- Any remittances with an incorrect code would go to a general purpose
tip-jar.
- Maybe it should be possible for users to add feature requests to the
web page, so that the unique code is assigned automatically.

I think that the creation of a non-for-profit legal entity is not such a
bureaucratic and financial hassle as many think. At least in
bureaucratic Germany it seems to be rather simple, my father has founded
two such entities in his life, and he has never been rich nor does he
like bureaucratic challenges.

Probably there are not that many contributions, so the developers will
continue to develop what they personally think is needed most. However,
if a good amount accumulates, it certainly would change the direction of
development to what most users (or the richest user) want.

The main advantage is that it makes contributions very easy.
Contributors just have to fill in a form at their online banking
application. For me that would be much easier than sending a Chrismas
card.

I would volunteer to write the web page if there is interest for such a
project.

Reinke