Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Christian Stimming stimming@tuhh.de
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 10:06:23 +0100

Reinke Bonte wrote:

> What would be needed in my opinion is the following:
>
> - The creation of a non-for-profit legal entity for gnucash.
> - This legal entity should have a bank account.
> - A web page which shows these bank account details and a number of
> features for which people can contribute money.

As Linas already pointed out, this works only in Germany or Japan, but
definitely not in the US. The (online or not) banking system in Germany
or Japan (and probably most of Europe, too) is indeed much more
sophisticated/standarized compared to in the US.

That's why I would rather agree with Linas or cbbrowne: For occasional
$20 gifts, sending a check or cash by snail mail, or using paypal or
comparables, is probably the easiest way of handling this.

As for paypal and foreign users: For Germany, paypal is actually quite
usable -- they offer direct online transfers between German bank
accounts and a paypal account and vice versa. So in this respect I think
paypal is the easiest way to give $20 as a gift.

Christian