Gnucash Foundation [was: Re: Nothing works on Red Hat ]

Michael D. Crawford crawford@goingware.com
Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:27:31 -0500

Karl F. Larsen erroneously posted:
 > PayPal is very nice and since they are a bank,

Allow me to step in and point out that PayPal is not a bank.  They are not
regulated as a bank, and those who use PayPal do not have the protections that
the state and federal banking laws provide to bank customers.

Neither is paypal very nice.  They are, in fact, abusive, and work very hard to
prevent people from correcting their actions through legal means.  Try this
google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=paypal+ripoff

The State of Louisiana has forbid PayPal from doing business in the state
anymore, as a result of PayPal's unethical actions.

I'd like to further advise that it is unwise to give PayPal access to your bank
  account.  They require direct bank account access before you may pay more
than $250 through PayPal.  The give various reasons for this on their website,
but it is important to understand that if you make PayPal transactions through
your bank account rather than your credit card, you do not have the legal
protections that a credit card would give you, such as the right to contest
fraudulent or unsatisfactory transactions.

There _are_ competitors to PayPal that are banks and are regulated as such.  I
have no experience with it but Citibank's c2it at http://www.c2it.com/ is one.
  I think there are others.

Before anyone does any business with PayPal I strongly suggest reading:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

Yours Truly,

Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/