Gnucash Foundation

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:36:11 -0600

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:27:31AM -0500, Michael D. Crawford was heard to remark:
> Karl F. Larsen erroneously posted:
> > PayPal is very nice and since they are a bank,
>
> Allow me to step in and point out that PayPal is not a bank.  They are
> not regulated as a bank, and those who use PayPal do not have the
> protections that the state and federal banking laws provide to bank
> customers.
>
> Neither is paypal very nice.  They are, in fact, abusive, and work very
> hard to prevent people from correcting their actions through legal

I remember the story (on slashdot??) of another (free software
project ??) tip jar being looted of $1500.   The perpatrator
purchased several items, including a camera, on ebay.  The victim
project was unable to get its money back.

As far as I'm concerned, this means that paypal tip-jars are known
to criminals as being soft targets;  thus, I'd rather *not* use
paypal, if I can help it.

--linas

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas@linas.org>