Rapid version changes

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:00:46 -0700 (MST)

	I see from this list that people are still having trouble
getting  some library files to run on their versions of Linux. I can
say that the rpm for gnucash-1.6.6 loaded without a hitch on Red Hat
version 8.0 that was shipped with the Linux. But I do notice that Red
Hat didn't load it like for say sane. Sane comes loaded and it works on
my scanner just fine. Grub is now the default boot loader for Red Hat.

	For fun I tried to load the version of gnucash shipped with Red
Hat 7.3 in that version. It came up with an error that some library was
needed. I didn't search for the library.

	My point is this: The development by volunteers of gnucash have
worked hard to change it from a simple single entery single user
software to one that does so much more. But this is done at the cost of
only a few people being able to make this system even run on their
computer! There is a lot of un-interesting work yet to be done so that a
person who buys Linux will find gnucash installed and working. I think
the designers of gnucash should check with all the Linux suppliers and
get a library list from them. Then if Red Hat doesn't have a library you
need, you provide it with the system in the rpm file. Same with Debian.

	I like the gnucash-1.4x version best for my uses. It has a very
close resemblance to Quickin and will please most of the people who
change from Windows to Linux. I have it set up and running fine in Red
Hat version 7.2 but it was difficult to make work there. It was very
nice in Red Hat version 7.1. When I try to install it in this Red Hat
8.0 it gives me this:

[root@bucket rpms]# rpm -i gnucash-1.4.12-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libguile.so.6 is needed by gnucash-1.4.12-1
[root@bucket rpms]#

	Alas I do not know how to install libguile.so.6 but I looked on
all three of the cd-rom's and saw nothing that looks like that. If the
gnucash developers could package this library with gnucash it might run.
By the way I tried to compile the tar ball but came up with the same
Failed dependencies.