GnuCash vs. Quicken

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
07 Dec 2002 16:41:15 -0600

--=-7jRFkKfeEuyOPxQsjPxP

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 15:24, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2002, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
>=20
> Also you are registerd twice and you send your comments to EVERYONE on=20
> this list twice.
>=20
I'm registered once.  My comments went once to the list, and once to
you, the same as your reply.

>=20
>   I would expect someone with
> > your self-asserted experience in Linux to be able to solve simple
> > directory permissions problems and to be able to install packages from a
> > distribution disk.=20
>=20
> 	For your information I know ALL about permissions and they have=20
> NOTHING TO DO with the BUG in gnucash.
>=20

That was the thread theat most stuck out in my mind, with Dr. Shephard
requesting file permission information from you.  Perhaps I missed
something, so I'll check the archives...

>  Everyone on this list has been able to do so on a
> > variety of distributions, including different versions of RedHat,
> > Debian, SuSe, Mandrake, and Gentoo.
> >=20

> 	Your attack on me is small and un-necessary. What I find wrong=20
> with gnucash version 1.6.6 is fact and explained with enough detail to=20
> allow anyone to reproduce the problem.
>=20
I'm not attacking you.  I've not called you names, or insulted your
race, gender, or heritage.  The closest I came was pointing out your
questionable grammar.  I apologize if my note caused undue levels of
defensiveness for you.  What I was explaining was how to get help on
this list, and also frustration with what I perceive to be your lack of
responsiveness and clarity as well as what I perceive to be your attacks
on the development team sans helpful suggestions.  Anyhow, not a very
immportant issue with respect to using Gnucash.

> 	If anyone is able to make a directory with gnucash 1.6.6 and=20
> load the backup files to that directory on Red Hat 8.0 I want to hear=20
> from them, not from you who does not have the same Linux I do!

Gnucash does not create directories.  Gnucash saves files in
directories, assuming that you have write permission to write in that
directory.  The generic Gnome Save dialog does indeed have a "Create
Dir" button, and it apparently has problem creating directories if you
type a full path (e.g./home/user/gnucash as opposed to "gnucash").  Is
that the function you are referring to?  If you forward me a copy of the
message in which you stated you couldn't create directories while using
"File|Save" or "File|Save As" and pressing the "Create Dir" button, I
will gladly and publicly apologize for my obtuseness, and respond with a
hopefully helpful message.  As for loading the backup files to that
directory, I assume you mean using Gnucash to move the files from their
current location to the new directory.  Gnucash does not do that--a file
manager is what you want.  Gnucash is a finance manager, not a file
manager.

I don't want to start an insult war, but I believe that you *are* less
than forthcoming with information about what you think is wrong.  Your
above statement is about the clearest response I've seen WRT to your
issues.  If my explanation of what I guess to be your actions is
incorrect, please explain exactly from where in Gnucash your are trying
to create directories, including the menu items you select to get there.

Also, reading most of the responses to your questions, I've noticed that
almost everyone says something like "it works great for me, can you send
some more information?".

With respect to your question about the file history on the File menu
(the ones with "1. /home/karl/cash..."), that's the history of what
files you have opened with Gnucash.  When you click one of those,
Gnucash tries to open the file *if it exists!!*. If the files don't
exist, Gnucash will tell you it couldn't open the file.  If you want to
clear that out, you can edit ~/.gnome/GnuCash, and look down in the
[History] section.  Remove the file entries there, and they won't show
up on the File menu anymore.

Yes, I'm verbose. It's part of my charm...
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-7jRFkKfeEuyOPxQsjPxP

--=-7jRFkKfeEuyOPxQsjPxP--