GnuCash vs. Quicken

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
07 Dec 2002 17:31:51 -0600

--=-04i3SMMplVHx9lFNF1b+

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 16:47, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	I cancel all the stuff that wants to make an account tree and=20
> leave only gnucash up and running. I make the accounts I want and when=20
> done I hit Exit. A panel comes up saying I made changes and asked do I=20
> want to save this. I say Yes.=20
>=20
> 	It comes up with another panel that lets me make a new directory=20
> cash in /home/karl/. I do that and click OK and I get another panel with=
=20
> a ! in a circle that says can't use /home/karl/cash/. If you redo it 2=20
> times gnucash fails and I'm asked to submit a bug report.
>=20

Are you using the "Create Dir" button in the Save dialog?  I've noticed
that if you click the "Create Dir" button, it expects you to type in a
single name.  It sounds like you are typing "cash" in the "Create Dir"
dialog, and then immediately clicking Ok in the Save dialog.  Have you
entered a filename in the "Selection" entry field? or is it the
directory name showing up in there?  You'll want to make sure you enter
a valid file name in the "Selection" entry field of the Save dialog,
after creating/navigating to the appropriate directory.

> 	That is as far as I can get with it. The idea that there is a=20
> permissions problem is not possible since the whole thing is running on=
=20
> the permissions of user karl and everything in that directory tree=20
> belongs to karl. But ANYONE can enter /home/ or /home/karl/ or=20
> /home/karl/cash/. I checked this with user postgres.
>=20

We may have misunderstood your original post as not being able to write
to a file in a specified directory, which would of course imply a
permissions problem.=20

HTH,
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-04i3SMMplVHx9lFNF1b+

--=-04i3SMMplVHx9lFNF1b+--