Sales tax on split transactions

Jochen De Smet jdsmet@yucom.be
08 Dec 2002 05:42:27 -0500

I don't need GNUCash to make the decisions as to
what to tax and what not for me, I'd just like some
option to make it less work :)

One possibility would be to have an option in the
right-click menu of an entry on a split transaction
that says "Add tax line" which would ask for a percentage
and fill in the rest of the fields by itself. (Ideally
there would be a place to enter one or more percentages
that could then be selected directly from a submeny)

I've considered setting up a seperate account for the tax
but decided against it. For certain expenses like restaurant
bills i only record the total amount. If i would put the
tax for other accounts outside those accounts it would skew
the expense pie charts.

Which does touch another wishlist item though. It would indeed
be nice to know how much i spent on tax, even if the tax entries
are spread out over several expense accounts. Maybe there could
be something like a virtual account. It would be read-only and
would not count in any calculations, and it would contain all
entries from other accounts that match a certain set of conditions.

J.

--
Jochen De Smet <jdsmet@yucom.be>