Sales tax on split transactions

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
08 Dec 2002 01:54:36 -0800

--=-4DKne5q5FNweVXLaDS3b

On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 00:20, Jochen De Smet wrote:=20
> Is there an easy way to split up the tax as well,
> without having to calculate the tax manually for
> each line?

No. Its not a trivial problem. There's no easy place to put a flag and
say "add tax for any number applied to this account".  The rules for
what is taxed and what isn't vary not only from location to location but
also from item to item.  For example, I go to the grocery store and buy
a six-pack of Coke and a 1/2 gallon of milk. I consider both those items
to be groceries and would apply the expense to my Groceries account, but
the state of California has decided to tax one of those items and not
the other.  The only real way for gnucash to handle this is manually.

David

P.S. You could always create an Expenses:Sales Tax account and apply all
the sales tax there.  Might even be eye opening to see how much sales
tax you pay over the course of a year.

--=-4DKne5q5FNweVXLaDS3b

--=-4DKne5q5FNweVXLaDS3b--