Rapid version changes

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Sun, 08 Dec 2002 22:17:16 -0500

--On Sunday, December 08, 2002 05:42:43 AM -0700 "Karl F. Larsen"
<k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> 	Hi Conrad, then I should just drop this list and bug Red Hat to
> fix the rpm they are shipping with Red Hat 8.0. Instead I just got the
> tar ball for gnucash version 1.6.6, a "stable" ie: old version and today
> Sunday I plan to collect files necessary to compile this version right
> on RH 8.0. Then at least I will know the software should run on the
> machine.

There is some wisdom in what you suggest.  GNUCash from source is
inherently a "do-it-yourself" sort of experience.  The distribution
companies spend a lot of time "polishing" things from the open source
community so that they "just work" rather than requiring tinkering by
users.

I highly recommend Mandrake if you're looking for a good desktop
distribution.  I think their desktop support if far better than Red Hat's.
The GNUCash RPM's that shipped with Mandrake 8.1 and up "just worked."
They also have support services specifically geared towards desktop users.
Red Hat is trying to embrace the desktop, but to date their focus has been
on servers.  The beautiful think about Mandrake is the GUI based package
management.  Bring up the rpmdrake by clicking on the "install software"
icon.  Search for GNUCash.  Pick install.  It will automatically determine
everything you need and install it for you.  And it just works.  I highly
recommend it.  I am a tech geek by trade and I use Mandrake simply because
while I can do everything by hand, I really don't feel like it.

If you really want to use Red Hat, I would give them a call (or email) and
voice your concerns.  If GNUCash (from their RPM) isn't working well in the
distribution, and you're paying for the distribution, it's a support issue.
You will are much more likely to get the kind of support you appear to be
after through a commercial channel.

--
Michael T. Garrison Stuber