Tracking realized gains/losses with mutual funds

David Hampton hampton@employees.org
09 Dec 2002 12:32:55 -0800

--=-U3oXQEg6OM57l6Vw+tsr

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 11:19, Errol Siegel wrote:

> Seems easy enough, right?  Here's the problem: gnucash
> mutual fund accounts force each transaction split to
> fit this equation:
>=20
>  credit (or debit) =3D shares * price
>=20
> So, here's what the transaction looks like in gnucash:
>=20
> Transaction #1 - buy 10 shares of MF @ $5
>       shares  price   credit    debit  share-balance
> MF      10     5                 50      50
> cash                             50
>=20
> Transaction #2 - sell 5 shares of MF @ $3
>       shares  price   credit    debit  share-balance
> MF      5      3        15               25
> cash                             15
>=20
> If I try to change the MF split in the above
> transaction so that the credit is 25 (allowing me to
> add a split for the loss expense account with a $10
> debit, a dialog pops up forcing me to change either
> the shares, price, or credit amount.

This is correct.  Gnucash is insisting that this individual split be
balanced. 5 * 3 equals 15 every day of the week, not every day but
alternate Tuesdays. :-)  The problem is that you are trying to link what
gnucash sees as two completely separate transactions (the purchase and
the sale) and gnucash doesn't know how to do that (yet).  I plan to add
support for tracking lots of stock to a future release.  This will allow
gnucash to correlate purchases and sales, and allow you can get the
capital gain/loss on any sale in a report.

David

--=-U3oXQEg6OM57l6Vw+tsr

--=-U3oXQEg6OM57l6Vw+tsr--