Tracking realized gains/losses with mutual funds

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
09 Dec 2002 18:51:03 -0600

--=-1p0R9D54Q6fzzpWogmAE

I must have misunderstood.  I didn't realize you were selling shares--I
thought you were trading one fund for another.

You would still need a realized loss/gain account as a separate account.

This is what I would do.  I've changed the debit/credit labels, because
in some places Gnucash has them backwards and that confuses me (I'm
strictly left/right column, really...).  I think "Loss" would be an
Expense account.

Anyhow, try this scenario and see if the reports balance.  They should.=20
You can always delete the account/trans if you want.

Transaction #2 - sell 5 shares of MF @ $3
      shares  price   decrease  increase  share-balance
MF    5      3        15                  25
cash                            15
Loss                            10

And what Dave said below.  He's been putting in a *bunch* of work, and
if the above doesn't get you fixed up, I'm sure his future efforts will.
:) (butter butter...).

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 14:32, David Hampton wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 11:19, Errol Siegel wrote:
>=20
> > Seems easy enough, right?  Here's the problem: gnucash
> > mutual fund accounts force each transaction split to
> > fit this equation:
> >=20
> >  credit (or debit) =3D shares * price
> >=20
> > So, here's what the transaction looks like in gnucash:
> >=20
> > Transaction #1 - buy 10 shares of MF @ $5
> >       shares  price   credit    debit  share-balance
> > MF      10     5                 50      50
> > cash                             50
> >=20
> > Transaction #2 - sell 5 shares of MF @ $3
> >       shares  price   credit    debit  share-balance
> > MF      5      3        15               25
> > cash                             15
> >=20
> > If I try to change the MF split in the above
> > transaction so that the credit is 25 (allowing me to
> > add a split for the loss expense account with a $10
> > debit, a dialog pops up forcing me to change either
> > the shares, price, or credit amount.
>=20
> This is correct.  Gnucash is insisting that this individual split be
> balanced. 5 * 3 equals 15 every day of the week, not every day but
> alternate Tuesdays. :-)  The problem is that you are trying to link what
> gnucash sees as two completely separate transactions (the purchase and
> the sale) and gnucash doesn't know how to do that (yet).  I plan to add
> support for tracking lots of stock to a future release.  This will allow
> gnucash to correlate purchases and sales, and allow you can get the
> capital gain/loss on any sale in a report.
>=20
> David
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-1p0R9D54Q6fzzpWogmAE

--=-1p0R9D54Q6fzzpWogmAE--