Gnucash help

Linas Vepstas linas@linas.org
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:22:22 -0600

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:34:58PM -0600, Robin Smith was heard to remark:
> I can sympathize with New Mexico.
>=20
> Arrogance is a slippery slope, you guys.
>=20
> In my case, I've asked several pretty simple, but allusive, operational=
=20
> questions and finally received one answer from someone who took pity on=
=20
> me.  But no other help has been forthcoming.  I've asked my webmaster=20
> to remove me from this list.
>=20
> I came from Microsoft and Quicken because after the second crash my=20
> webmaster recommended it heavily.  I have struggled with NO HELP from=20
> this gnucash help list except for one good samaritan.  And thank you=20
> again if you are reading this.
>=20

Look, I fail to understand why you think that anyone owes you help.
The core developers already put in dozens of hours every week of=20
thier own personal spare time to develop the code.  The 'good
samaritans' already answer hundreds of questions every month. If they
don't feel like answering one of your questions (or anyone else's)
you cannot fault them for arrogance, ignorance, apathy or any other
reason.=20

I personally pay $120/month plus tax to maintain an unlimited-upload
DSL line for the GnuCash web server.  No one reimburses me for these
costs.  Its a public service, on behalf of me.   If you don't like
my "arrogant" telling-off of another list member that already
managed to piss off some of the volunteer developers and staffers
and other 'good samaritans' that hang out in these parts, well,
that's too bad.=20

As a community, we work hard to provide software and support that=20
we can be proud of.   When that software has failings, we are
painfully aware of that; it is unjust to call us stupid in reference
to these failings.  When we run out of time and patience to field=20
all email questions, we feel the frustration of knowing that there
was someone out there who we couldn't help.  Arrogance is a synonym
for pride, and we are proud of our work.  You can't take that away.

> I too run a business.  I'm not playing here but rather earn a living=20
> for myself and several other people.

Well, we do *not* run a business.  We *are* playing here.  The game
we enjoy is building professional-quality software, and giving it
away for free.  Strange game, some may think.  But our software, and=20
our support, is helping you and many others earn a living.  I am=20
livid to think that the thanks that we get for our efforts is=20
anything other than positive.

--linas