Have any users tried to build 1.7.5 on a MacOSX 10.2 system?

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
11 Dec 2002 20:24:40 -0600

--=-jE+hxKY6GOIpLMR8wZDS

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 18:09, Kaaren Shalom & Richard Gilligan wrote:
> [...]
>=20
> [host:/] kandr% /sw/bin/gnucash --version
>=20
> GnuCash 1.6.8
>=20
>=20
> My gnucash  was downloaded, complied, and installed on my Mac OSX
> 10.2.2 system just the other day using the Free fink package
> management system.  I believe fink is specific to the Mac OSX world
> but  suppose it must be similar to the rpm system that I see mentioned
> all the time.  The install process was relatively painless so I would
> like to offer a specific thank you to Peter O'Gorman
> <fontfamily><DEFANGED_param>Trebuchet MS</DEFANGED_param>who is listed as=
 the maintainer
> of the fink gnucash 1.6.8 package.  I run gnucash using the XDarwin
> xwindows server and the twm window manager that was installed with
> XDarwin.
>=20
>=20
> Hoping to take advantage of new features I have read about in version
> 1.7.5,  seeing that there is no fink package available for version
> 1.7.5, and feeling lucky, I  downloaded 1.7.5.tar.gz from
>=20
> <<http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/unstable/1.7.x/gnucash-1.7.5=
.tar.gz>
> and tried to build it on my own but have not gotten far yet.
>=20
>=20
> Following my usual unix software user approach, I have tried  running
> these commands: make, automake, and ./configure, I would have tried
> ./autogen.sh which was mentioned in doc/README.build-system but I do
> not 'find' that script among the source files.
>=20
>=20
> Has anyone tried to build 1.7.5 on a MacOSX system?  Any suggestions
> for how a mere mortal might proceed when ./configure and make install
> are insufficent?  Heck, is anyone else even _using_ Gnucash on a
> MacOSX system?
>=20
>=20
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions (or for letting me know that it
> is not possible if that is the case),=20=20
>=20
>=20
> Richard Gilligan
>=20
>=20
> more details follow
>=20
>=20
> ./configure fails with this error:
>=20
> <<snip>
>=20
> checking for ltdl.h... no
>=20
> configure: error: Cannot find ltdl.h -- libtool-devel not installed?
>=20
>=20
> I googled around looking for a libtool-devel that I could try to

Don't know what's available for Mac OSX WRT libtool, you may want to hit
the Mac lists about GNU software for some advice there.  You *will* need
it, though.

>=20
> automake gave me this:
>=20
>=20
> [host:~/Desktop/gnucash-1.7.5] admin% automake
>=20
> configure.in:42: your implementation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE comes from an
>=20
> configure.in:42: old Automake version.  You should recreate aclocal.m4
>=20
> configure.in:42: with aclocal and run automake again.
>=20
> doc-tools/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
>=20
> /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
> AM_CONDITIONAL
>=20
> /usr/share/automake-1.6/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in
> AM_CONDITIONAL
>=20
> <</snip>
>=20

Looks like you're using automake/aclocal 1.6, and the aclocal.m4 was
probably created with automake/aclocal 1.4.x.  In the root source
directory, you can run "./autogen.sh", and it should re-create that
stuff.

--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-jE+hxKY6GOIpLMR8wZDS

--=-jE+hxKY6GOIpLMR8wZDS--