Business Questions

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
14 Dec 2002 12:41:15 +1100

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 12:47, Carl Parrish wrote:
> Thanks Conrand,
> That helps *alot*. New question my CPA uses QuickBooks. how hard is it
> to import / export data between the two apps?

Quickbooks uses OFX for its import/export, I believe. In that case, its
partially supported, as you have noticed. Gnucash does not (at this
stage) support export in OFX, although I believe it is on the list of
things to do for the OFX library people. Not going to happen for 1.8,
*may* appear later in the 1.8 series.

> I guess worst case I could
> simple make a hard copy of my reports send them to him then he would
> send me back a hard copy with any changes he's made. However I think it
> would be much eaiser if I could simply email him a file.

It would be, certainly. Unfortunately, that's something for the future.
Hard-copy is the way to go at this stage. Another reason why its a good
plan to check how they want to do things before you set up your
accounts.

> Speaking of
> which does gnucash support anyway of transfering info in a gpg or pgp
> format?

Not directly. The gnucash data file is text, and could easily be
compressed and/or encrypted manually. This, however, will only help if
they're using gnucash on the other end.

> I don't think the rpm I installed has OFX support. How would I
> know for sure?

I've never built with OFX support and I don't use the pre-built rpms
since I'm running from CVS, but I'd be fairly certain it would appear
under the menus (File->Import). I doubt that it has been built with OFX,
though that would make a certain amount of sense.

Conrad.