Business Questions

Chris Lyttle chris@wilddev.net
13 Dec 2002 19:44:33 -0800

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 17:41, Conrad Canterford wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 12:47, Carl Parrish wrote:
> > Thanks Conrand,
> > That helps *alot*. New question my CPA uses QuickBooks. how hard is it
> > to import / export data between the two apps?
>
> Quickbooks uses OFX for its import/export, I believe. In that case, its
> partially supported, as you have noticed. Gnucash does not (at this
> stage) support export in OFX, although I believe it is on the list of
> things to do for the OFX library people. Not going to happen for 1.8,
> *may* appear later in the 1.8 series.

You are mistaken here, Conrad. Quickbooks only supports import/export in
Intuit Interchange format (.iif)
>From what I understand reading Intuit's support site, its a flat
spreadsheet type text file, but GnuCash doesn't support imports from it.

> > I don't think the rpm I installed has OFX support. How would I
> > know for sure?
>
> I've never built with OFX support and I don't use the pre-built rpms
> since I'm running from CVS, but I'd be fairly certain it would appear
> under the menus (File->Import). I doubt that it has been built with OFX,
> though that would make a certain amount of sense.

The current rpm's are not enabled for OFX, as this would require people
to have the libofx library installed. As I dont see yet the majority of
users expecting OFX support I'm probably not going to compile in support
for this in the rpm's we distribute. This could change later if enough
people want this.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit