Gnucash newbie questions

Theo. Sean Schulze tschulze@teamfinders.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:54:03 +0100

Hello and Season's Greetings!

Over the next year I would like to get a better handle on my family's finances, and I plan to use gnucash to help with that goal.  I have taken a look at some of the online resources, and I have read through David Gilbert's gnucash manual.  But, some questions remain.

Most important, how can I set gnucash up so that both my wife and I can enter transactions from our individual login accounts on my machine?  I was thinking I could set up a group "family", make the gnucash files group rwx, and save them to a separate directory, /home/family or /home/gnucash.  Would this work?  What is the best way to do this?  Is there a document that I have missed that describes how to do this?

I also need to keep track of accounts in different currencies.  My wife is paid in Euro, and she has a German bank account into which her salary is deposited.  I am paid in dollars into an account in the States, and at least once a week, I make a withdrawal in Euros using an ATM.  I think my transactions need to be processed through a currency account.  If she uses her German account in Euro exclusively to pay for things in Euro, does those transactions need some special currency processing?

TIA,
Sean

--
Theo. Sean Schulze