Running GnuCash 1.7.6

Chris Vine chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:15:59 +0000

On Thursday 26 December 2002 12:10 pm, Conrad Canterford wrote:

[snip]

> Hmmm... That's unfortunate. I'm not sure what else to suggest.
>
> > It would help if the error message were a little more verbose about what
> > file guile can't find.  Is there any verbosity switch I can use?
>
> Sadly, that message wasn't made more useful until guile 1.6, I believe
> (I haven't run 1.6, but I was told that it was going to be fixed in that
> version). There is a simple (one or two line, from memory) patch for
> guile to make it give a more detailed message, and in my case it didn't
> help because it actually only gave the top level library and the fail
> was actually on a dependency further down. May help in your situation,
> but I wouldn't bet on it. You could try a google search for the text of
> the error message and see if the patch shows up anywhere. Unfortunately,
> I don't believe I have it around anymore.
>
> Sorry I can't be more helpful. If you contine to be stuck, bug me some
> more and I'll see if I can locate the patch for you.

I have found the problem.  guile, guppi, etc, and my previous version of
gnucash (1.6.8) were compiled with gcc-2.95.3.  I had then compiled
g-wrap-1.3.4 and gnucash-1.7.6 with gcc-3.2.1.  This appears to be a no-no.
Either gnucash and/or g-wrap don't compile correctly with gcc-3.2 or (and
much more likely) I have been the victim of some kind of binary
incompatibility between guile compiled with gcc-2.95.3 and g-wrap/gnucash
compiled with gcc-3.2.1.

Recompiling g-wrap-1.3.4 and gnucash-1.7.6 with gcc-2.95.3 and it works.

This may well explain some of the other compiling/running problems others have
been having that have been mentioned on this mailing list.  The kind of
people who will be interested in compiling the latest version of gnucash will
also be the kind of people who may have installed gcc-3.2 when it came out.

This thought was stimulated by your comments about incompatible libraries.  I
knew there was incompatibility in the C++ ABI between gcc-2.95 and gcc-3.2,
but gcc-3.2 claims C ABI compatibility with gcc-2.95 (and I have had no
trouble in running Gnome-2 compiled with gcc-3.2.1 against the system
libraries compiled with gcc-2.95); but it now seems that this claim isn't
entirely true, and at any rate does not apply to guile.

Thanks for your help.

Chris.