Gnucash Installation Question

Chris Vine chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:47:56 +0000

On Thursday 26 December 2002 4:27 pm, Jeremy T. Brown wrote:

> Actually, on this particular system I'm still compiling everything with
> gcc-2.95.3 (and haven't ever upgraded).  So I don't think this is the
> problem.
>
> Should I try compiling the latest development version instead of the latest
> stable?  Someone also mentioned that this might be a problem with
> conflicting versions of g-wrap, so I'm going to look into that as well.

I would use the latest stable version unless there is really something you
want in the development one.  guile and guppi come with Slackware 8.1.  You
only need to add slib and g-wrap, and I installed slib-2d5 and g-wrap-1.1.11.
With these, once I had used the right compiler (gcc-2.95.3) it worked fine.
gnucash-1.6.8 is supposed to work with g-wrap-1.2.1, although I have not used
that version of g-wrap.  It will not work with g-wrap-1.3.*.

I got gnucash-1.7.6 to work by changing to g-wrap-1.3.4.

GnuCash does seem to be very brittle in terms of its dependencies.  It seems
to have a mind of its own, and will work for some and not for others in a
rather random fashion.  As many people seem to give up on it as manage to get
it to fire.  Once it does work, I have found it to be quite good - the
feature I really miss is scheduled transactions, which is to be in version
1.8 (although I have not yet sorted out how this is supposed to work in
1.7,6, as I can't get the transaction editor to do its stuff).

I made up Slack tgz packages for slib-2d5, g-wrap-1.1.11 and gnucash-1.6.8
using makepkg, which I can e-mail you if you like, although they are compiled
for the i686 rather than the i386.

Chris.