Gnucash Installation Question

Jeremy T. Brown jtbrown@utk.edu
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 11:54:08 -0500

>===== Original Message From Chris Vine <chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk> =====
>I have Slackware 8.1, and I have had problems running gnucash-1.7.6.  It
>appears now that it arose from a binary incompatibility between gcc-2.95.3
>and gcc-3.2.1.  I had compiled g-wrap-1.3.4 and gnucash-1.7.6 with gcc-3.2.1
>and was running them against the Slackware 8.1 versions of guppi and guile
>(which have been compiled with gcc-2.95.3).  I solved this by re-compiling
>g-wrap and gnucash with gcc-2.95.3 as supplied with Slackware 8.1, and it
>works fine.  (See a different thread on this mailing list).
>
>Just to see what would happen I managed to reproduce your problem with
>g-wrap-1.1.11 and gnucash-1.6.8 by compiling them with gcc-3.2.1.  When
>compiled with gcc-3.2.1, they give the same error message that you report
>above.  If compiled with gcc-2.95.3 they work fine.
>
>If you have installed gcc-3.2, try recompiling g-wrap and gnucash with
>gcc-2.95.3.  They should then work on Slack 8.1.
>
>Chris.

Actually, on this particular system I'm still compiling everything with
gcc-2.95.3 (and haven't ever upgraded).  So I don't think this is the problem.

Should I try compiling the latest development version instead of the latest
stable?  Someone also mentioned that this might be a problem with conflicting
versions of g-wrap, so I'm going to look into that as well.

Thanks for the response!

Jeremy