japanese currency symbol display problem (using 1.7.6)

Jerome Limozin jerome@limozin.net
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 14:23:54 +0900

I have accounts in Euro and Japanese yen, all tracked in a single
gnucash file. previously I was using version 1.6.8, with default
currency=JPY. All reports displayed correctly the international symbol
for japanese yen (JPY).

I have switched recently to version 1.7.6 for testing, and I have
discovered that all reports were in USD, and value was always 0 for all
accounts. I have discovered that I have to set LC_MONETARY to ja in
order to set the default currency to japanese yen. This works fine,
however there is an annoying problem : if I set LC_MONETARY to ja,
gnucash will display the char symbol for Yen, which doesn't display
properly with my current font (it's a 2 bits char). I'd like gnucash to
display 'JPY' instead of the Yen symbol.
If I set LC_MONETARY to something else, for example fr_FR, then I have
to set manually default currency in all reports, which is an annoyance
but works. In this case, the symbol correctly displays 'JPY'.

In summary, how can I force gnucash to use the international symbol
instead of local currency symbol?

thanks!
Jerome