QIF Import of 401k accounts

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:19:14 -0500 (EST)

Greetings!

	I've been trying to import QIF files from my 401k provider, New
York Benefit Life.  The import goes successfully.  The file is formated
such that all transactions come from one account.  Basically, I have a
cash account that my paycheck split contributes to.  When I import the
401k provider QIF file, I reference that account.  The transactions are
the various fund/stock purchases.  The QIF imports fine, but for some
reason every single transaction is unbalanced.  When I edit the
transaction, all the information there, but it's not quite right.  I get a
three line split.  The first line has the correct fund account for the
purchase and the correct amount.  The second line has the correct account
the transaction should come from, but no dollar amount.  The third line
lists no account but does include the balancing dollar amount.  I have to
go through and edit each transaction by hand to, transferring the
balancing dollar amount to the second line, and then everything is fine.
Needless to say this is tedious.  Is anybody else having this problem?
Is there something wrong with my providers QIF files that I could scrub
with a Perl script.  Thoughts?