RE[2]: New to linux

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:38:06 -0700 (MST)

Graham Fry <GrahamF@RUBICO.COM> wrote:

> [...]

The i386.rpm file is a binary, pre-compiled version.  This is the best
way to go if you can make it install.

The other one is the source only, and you have to build the binary
rpm from the source and then install it.  (I'm still working on
the correct sequence for that little trick, so I'll not try to
tell you the wrong way to do it...)

The binary one is so much bigger because it has a lot of the libraries
you need already compiled in.  The source one needs those libraries,
possibly downloaded if you don't have them already.

SO, go for the *i386.rpm, and do a rpm -i gnucash-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm
once its downloaded (of SuSE does not do it for you automatically).

rc

Rusty E. Carruth       Email:     rcarruth@Tempe.tt.slb.com or rcarruth@slb.com
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE                   ___
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116   \e/
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825                V
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W  http://tuxedo.org/~esr/ecsl/index.html
"Why would anyone choose a tool that is the primary virus vector of the known universe?" - me