Instability in 1.6.5

Dave Williams jdave23@dca.net
13 Feb 2002 14:41:32 -0500

Hello -

I was using 1.4 on my RH7.1 system with the Ximian desktop.  Their
updater offered 1.6.5, so I installed it.

An initial problem was the guile library -- although the site says to
use a newer version (with libguile.so.9) Gnucash wouldn't start because
it was looking for libguile.so.6!

I solved that problem by forcing the older package of guile to install
on my system along with the newer one.  No problem, Gnucash starts up.

But here's the thing: I'm using double-entry accounting and completely
standard categories.  My old chart-of-accounts was imported, and
everything looked fine.  I like the new features of 1.6.5, and was
looking forward to using it.  But it crashed the moment I opened one of
my account registers.

When I restarted the program it couldn't open anything!  So I rebuilt my
accounts from a backup I made in QIF format.  Okay, there they were, but
almost anything I do (view a report, examine a transaction) causes a
crash.  And every time I restart Gnucash I can't open my old accounts.
I've rebuilt them several times in several different ways.  Always the
same thing -- crash and un-openable file.

I don't imagine there's a quick fix for this.  Aside from going back to
1.4, are there any plans to build a more stable release?  I don't know
where to submit bug reports, but I really do like the program.  All I
can do is sit on my hands and wait!