Slow Graph Generation

Louis Mandelstam louism@infosat.net
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 23:14:55 +0200 (SAST)

>From the archives:
[http://www.gnumatic.com/pipermail/gnucash-user/2001-August/002058.html]

John Bafford, on Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:28:16 -0400:

> The (very large) backtrace is in another email so as not to spam
> everyone on the list.
>
> My uneducated guess, since i don't have a copy of the sources handy,
> is that guppi is trying to get a random number for a unique ID, and
> possibly doing so many, many, times and depletes the entropy pool in
> the process.
>
> At 11:31 -0500 8/1/01, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>>On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:09:24PM -0400, John Bafford was heard to
remark:
>>  >
>>  > Whenever I have it generate graphs, it always takes at least a
>>  > minute. Neither gnucash or any of the processes it spawns to draw
>>  > the
>>
>>Where is the main process 'hanging'?  is it waiting during the read of
>>>/dev/random ? If so, then the entropy pool has emptied; you can fill it
>>again by moving the mouse or generating network traffic.

I'm running into this with 1.6.2.  I discovered that moving the mouse or
causing interrupts some other way helps it along and a strace confirmed
that reads of /dev/random were blocking.

Has this issue been resolved?  I don't see a reference to a solution in
the list archives.

Regards

Louis Mandelstam                     Technical Manager, InfoSat (Pty) Ltd