Re[2]: End of year processing?

Rusty Carruth rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:16:50 -0700 (MST)

"Timothy J. Miller" <cerebus@sackheads.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 00:01, Greg Wilkins wrote:
>
> > I'd like to be able to delete all transactions from previous financial
> > years and ideally have the opening balances adjusted?

This is basically what I'm asking for in my 'thread' titled
"Crossing to a new year (was Re[2]: Extracting Account names)"
which continues the discussion started in "Extracting Account Names".

> > Are there any utilties for doing this?
>
> Why not close the books, export the account list, and open a new set?

Well, take a look at my original message about crossing to a
new year.  A large part of the reason I don't like that solution
is:

If all the 2001 things would happen before any 2002 things, then
this would be a possible (but not nearly optimal) solution (close
books, export account list, open a new set, and manually (GAG)
set all the balances (that's the non-optimal part - error prone!))

However, when the next bank statements come in, I am certain
that they will have both 2001 and 2002 items.  This means that
I'll have to 'reconcile' half in one year and half in the other -
for EACH account!  That seems like a really bad idea...

In his reply to my "Crossing" query, lmb (Lars) said that he would
choose my option 1 (do nothing), since:

	All reports take a date range, so this is perfectly workable.
	The only one which doesn't is the main account view, which
	always lists global totals, as well as the "Net Assets"
	status line; however, this can be thought of as a feature ;-)

However, I DO want to have the ability to get a report on activity
in each 'account' (e.g. Expenses:Gifts) using a date range.  If I can
do that (and I'll have to look to see if I can), then I may go with
the 'do nothing' option as well (which is to just keep everything in
one big file and use date ranges wherever needed).  (I'm at work and
the guncash is at home, and ne'er the twain shall meet ;-)

Unless someone else has a better idea...

rc