End of year processing

Greg Wilkins gregw@mortbay.com
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:43:40 +1100

gnucash-user-request@lists.gnumatic.com wrote:

> Message: 1
> From: Rusty Carruth <rcarruth@tempe.tt.slb.com>

> In his reply to my "Crossing" query, lmb (Lars) said that he would
> choose my option 1 (do nothing), since:
>
> 	All reports take a date range, so this is perfectly workable.
> 	The only one which doesn't is the main account view, which
> 	always lists global totals, as well as the "Net Assets"
> 	status line; however, this can be thought of as a feature ;-)
>
> However, I DO want to have the ability to get a report on activity
> in each 'account' (e.g. Expenses:Gifts) using a date range.  If I can
> do that (and I'll have to look to see if I can), then I may go with
> the 'do nothing' option as well (which is to just keep everything in
> one big file and use date ranges wherever needed).  (I'm at work and
> the guncash is at home, and ne'er the twain shall meet ;-)
>
> Unless someone else has a better idea...

Well the do nothing option does work for reports.  However, I have been
using gnucash for some time and am now well into my third year of
transactions in my books.    It is getting a pain as it slows every
thing down a bit and you have many transactions that you need to scroll
past, always need to specify dates on searches etc.etc.

So the feature that Linus Vepstas is adding for this will be well welcomed!

regards

--
Greg Wilkins<gregw@mortbay.com>          GB  Phone: +44-(0)7092063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.    Mbl Phone: +61-(0)4 17786631