Alternate book closing with reconcile and retention of memorized transactions.

Paul Lussier pll@mclinux.com
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:42:10 -0500

In a message dated: 08 Jan 2002 09:24:46 CST
"Timothy J. Miller" said:

>Yes, but this way you're not reconciling half your transactions in one
>file, and the rest in the current file, and changing the opening
>balances (potentially) multiple times-- which I've had to do when
>opening new books the "normal" way.  This method should make things a
>little easier.  I think.

>Given this morning's little tidbit that memorized transactions are built
>on the fly from entered data, this won't carry *all* memorized
>transactions forward to the new file, but it will carry *some* of them
>along (i.e., anything entered since the beginning of the new accounting
>period).

Hmmm, I suppose it might be a little less of a pain than reconciling
between 2 different files.  I'll give it a shot.

One thing that's going to be interesting though, is when GnuCash has
true accounting periods built in.  I'm assuming at that point that
we'll keep all data in one file for all of eternity, and GnuCash will
allow you to filter your views of the data to particular time periods.

If that's the case, then we may want to merge all of these files
we're creating during the interim.  Any idea how we could do that?

Is it as simple as 'cat fileA >> FileB' and then open FileB in
Gnucash?  For some reason due to the XML structure, I get the feeling
this may be a bad thing :)
--

Seeya,
Paul

			  God Bless America!

	...we don't need to be perfect to be the best around,
		and we never stop trying to be better.
		       Tom Clancy, The Bear and The Dragon