Finally! Gnucash 1.6.5 is running...but I do have some questions

Roger Rasmussen rrasm2@yahoo.com
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 15:37:57 -0500

I have finally been able to compile and run gnucash 1.6.5, but what a
battle to get to this point!

Here's the problems I encountered along the way (I'm running Redhat 7.1
with the latest Ximian Gnome libraries).

Problem 1: Sometimes prebuilt RPM's don't seem to like libraries placed
in /usr/local/lib
Anybody experience this?  You've got a library installed in
/usr/local/lib and it can't be found?  What's the reason?  I thought
that having /usr/local/lib in my /etc/ld.so.conf file (run ldconfig of
course) should deal with this?  Do I STILL need /usr/local/lib in
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH??

Problems 2: Can't get gnome-config to recognize Guppi?
I compiled Guppi from the source code and I couldn't get gnome-config to
recognize it unless I used configured it using --prefix=/usr.  Thank
goodness this was mentioned in the Gnucash README file.  I guess I could
add /usr/local/lib to the $GNOME_LIBCONFIG_PATH.

Problem 3: Guppi seemed to have a problem with the Ximian RPMS of
guile-1.4.  When using their guile rpms I couldn't get the guppi main
binary to load up.  Uninstalling the RPMS and reinstalling guile-1.4
from the source code fixed the problem.  During this time I had decided
to switch to Guppi 0.35.5 to see if having an older version of Guppi
would help, so I'm not sure if the newest Guppi would work with the
compiled guile.

Speaking of Guppi, it seems to take a long time before it pops up the
output, even for simple jobs. (I'm running a 1.4 GHz Athlon t-bird!)  I
was expecting the performance to be snappy, not wait 15 seconds for
output.  Is it simply because a lot of this code is still in early
development or something I didn't build right.

I'd appreciate any feedback on the idea of installing all my libraries
in /usr instead of /usr/local.  Seems to help me avoid some compilation
issues.

Roger