Account Grouping

Robert A. Uhl ruhl@4dv.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 07:31:26 -0700

On Sat, Jan 26, 2002 at 10:05:19AM -0500, Michael T. Garrison Stuber wrote:

> I travel for business for the company I work for.  As such I have travel
> related expenses and travel related income (reimbursement).  The expenses
> aren't truly mine, nor is the income truly income.  I would like to have
> top level account with income and expense both under it.  The advantage to
> me as a user is that I could quickly look at it and determine whether the
> company owes me money (expenses higher than income) or whether I have
> misreported (income greater than expense).

I handle this by representing business expenses as an asset account.
I credit, say, my chequing account and debit Business Expenses.  When
I am reimbursed, I credit Business Expenses and debit the appropriate
bank account.  I can tell status by looking at the balance of Business
Expenses: if it's positive, then I am owed money by my employer; if
negative, then I've screwed up.

> I "loan" money to my company...

Lend: `loan' is a noun, `lend' a verb.  Common mistake:-)

--
Robert Uhl <ruhl@4dv.net>

I've resigned myself to seeing everything I consider meritorious slowly
destroyed by the forces of corruption, greed and stupidity, but it's
really adding insult to injury that they can't even maintain a facade of
competence.                                                --Tim Mefford