getting gnucash to load

John Thompson John.Thompson@attglobal.net
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 09:01:22 -0600 (CST)

On 27 Jan 2002, Dave Peticolas wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-01-26 at 22:47, Carl Parrish wrote:
> > Okay I see the light at the end of the tunnel but I still can't get
> > GnuCash up and running. when I type gnucash at the command line I get
> > the following error.
> >
> > gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libguppitank.so.13:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > if I do a "locate libguppitank" I see that I have libguppitank.so.16
> > loaded. I assume that since so.16 is a more recent copy and that since I
> > need so.16 to run evolution that there must be *some* way for me to tell
> > gnucash to run using so.16 (shouldn't it be set to run > 13 anyways?).
> > so my problem is how do I do this? (perferably from rpm but I can
> > compile from source if needed).

> It appears the gnucash you have installed (from rpm?) was compiled
> with a different library version of guppi. There is no way to tell
> a binary version of gnucash to use a "minimum or higher" library
> version. If the Guppi authors decide to bump the library version,
> the rpms for old versions will not work.
>
> Note that I am talking about the library version (.so.X),
> not the Guppi version (Guppi .0.40, for example).
>
> Your options are to downgrade Guppi or to get an rpm of gnucash
> that uses a later version (or compile gnucash).

You could also try making a sym-link from libguppitank.so.16 to
libguppitank.so.13.  Many times this will work if the newer library is
sufficiently backwards-compatible.  There's nothing to lose in trying it
anyway, and it may save some tedious recompiles and such.

--

-John (John.Thompson@attglobal.net)