Am I missing a shortcut (general ledger)?

Stephen Walton s.walton@gte.net
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 20:56:48 -0800

On Monday 31 December 2001 05:02 am, Paul Lussier wrote:
> In a message dated: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 13:06:09 PST
>
> If the transaction is a simple one, i.e., there are no splits, just a
> straight debit of one account and credit to the other, you can turn
> off auto-split mode...

Of course, this is what I usually do.

> >What about split transactions in the general ledger (and elsewhere)?  Is
> >there some way to denote a "main" transaction whose total would
> >automatically be updated to reflect the other parts?  That is, suppose I
> >have a Discover receipt which has clothes and CD's on it.  Is there some
> >way to enter the Expenses:Clothing and Expenses:Records amounts and have
> >the Liabilities:Discover total automatically become the sum of those two
> >amounts?
>
> Err, it should do that automatically.  At least it does for me.

Thanks for causing me to go look for how, and I see how it should be done now.
For others' benefit: open the general ledger and enter the individual parts
of the split;  in my example, enter the Expenses:Clothing and Expenses:
Records amounts.  GnuCash will create a balancing entry with no account on it
which is the total of the others;  put the account in (Liabilities:Discover
in my example).  My mistake, once again, was expecting GnuCash to act like my
old trusty Phasar program, which had you put in the total first, then the
amount of the splits.  GnuCash's way of handling this is fine;  I just didn't
see it at first.

--
Stephen Walton
s.walton@gte.net